The Renal Tubular Secretion Study images Tc-99m-MAG3 as it passes through the vascular system, renal tubular cells, tubular lumens and collecting system. This series of images allows the sequential evaluation of renal perfusion, renal clearance by tubular secretion, renal parenchymal transit time and passage of urine through the renal collecting system. In addition, the study provides high contrast images for evaluation of renal anatomy.
- Evaluation of renal perfusion and function.
- Evaluation of renal trauma.
- Evaluation of renal transplants.
The patient is positioned on the imaging table with the camera detector adjusted to image from the posterior projection. The radiopharmaceutical will be administered and a dynamic study (a rapid series of short duration images) will immediately be acquired to assess the blood flow to the kidney. Following this a series of dynamic (continuous) images will be taken immediately for 30 minutes.
- 45 Minutes
- Ensure the patient is not pregnant or breastfeeding
- The patient should be well hydrated
- The patient should void before beginning the study.